Why HealthONE Virtual Network?
The viability and importance of the HealthONE Virtual Network is evidenced by the success of its stroke program. By the end of December, 2014, over 4,000 stroke telemedicine consults had been conducted with our network partners. Of those, 785 patients were deemed eligible for t-PA, the only clot-dissolving drug proven highly-effective at helping people experiencing strokes.
This translates to a 20% treatment rate for the clot‑busting therapy - an approximately four-fold increase over the national rate. 59% of rural patients treated tele-medically stay in their local hospital as well as 87% of urban and suburban patients, rather than being transferred to another facility.
- Stroke kills almost 137,000 Americans each year. That's 1 in every 18 deaths.
- On average, one American dies from stroke every 4 minutes.
- Every year, more than 795,000 people in the United States have a stroke.
- Stroke is the 4th leading cause of death in the United States.
- About 40 percent of stroke deaths occur in males, and 60 percent in females. (Source: American Stroke Association)