Residency purpose statement
PGY1 pharmacy residency programs build on Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) education and outcomes to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions, eligible for board certification, and eligible for postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training..
Duration/Type: 12 months (PGY1)
Number of positions: 1
Application deadline: January 6, 2023
Start Date: Late June/early July 2023
Residency Program Director
Jason Detry, PharmD, BCCCP
Swedish Medical Center
Inpatient Pharmacy, Attn: Jason Detry
501 E Hampden Ave
Englewood, CO 80113
Required rotations are 4 weeks in duration while longitudinal rotations will span the duration of the residency year.
- Orientation (July)
- Internal Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Medical/Cardiac ICU
- Trauma ICU
- Administration/Med Safety
- Emergency Medicine
- Staffing (longitudinal)
- Research (longitudinal)
Elective rotations are typically 4 weeks in duration. Residents will choose 3 electives.
- Pediatrics (Off-site at Presbyterian/St. Luke’s in Uptown Denver)
- Infectious Diseases Advanced Elective
- Neuro Critical Care
- Internal Medicine Advanced Elective
- Critical Care Advanced Elective
- Emergency Medicine Advanced Elective
- General Neurology
The PGY1 residency program at Swedish Medical Center is closely affiliated with Regis School of Pharmacy and has a significant teaching emphasis. The resident will assist faculty in didactic lectures and group facilitation during a month long, focused academia rotation as well as longitudinally throughout the year. Residents will also be enrolled in a longitudinal Teaching Certificate Program through the University of Colorado Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. Residents may also assist in precepting PharmD students during rotations.
More information about Regis School of Pharmacy can be found here.
- Research Project
- Medication Use Evaluation
- Drug class review, Drug Monograph, treatment guideline, or protocol (choose 1)
- Grand Rounds presentation
- Attendance and presentation of a longitudinal project at two regional/national conferences (typically ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and Mountain States or Western States Conference)
- Participation and completion of a teaching certificate program (See “Teaching”)
Salary: $48,700 for 2022-2023 year
Insurance: The resident is eligible for Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
PTO: The residency will accrue PTO throughout the year equating to a total of 20 days PTO. PTO is expected to be used for holidays, vacations, interviews, and sick time. No more than 5 days of PTO are allowed to be used during one learning experience without approval from the Residency Program Director.
Travel: Residents will be reimbursed for registration and travel costs associated with attendance to required conferences.
Resident is eligible to participate in 401k, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (purchase stock at 10% discount), consumer discount programs, and all other benefits offered to full time employees.
Interested applicants must be a PharmD graduate from an accredited college of pharmacy and be eligible for licensure in the state of Colorado. All required materials must be submitted through PhORCAS by the specified due date to be eligible for consideration.
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official transcript from an accredited school of pharmacy
- Letter of intent discussing why you are applying for residency at Swedish Medical Center and how it aligns with your personal and professional goals
- Maximum length: 1 page (single-spaced), Font size 10-12 pts
- Address to Dr. Jason Detry
- Three letters of reference (using standard PhORCAS template)
- At minimum 1 must be from a preceptor able to speak to your clinical performance
- At minimum 1 must be from an employer (pharmacy or non-pharmacy related)
- All applicants must register for the match: https://natmatch.com/ashprmp/index.html
- All applications will be accepted through PhORCAS: https://portal.phorcas.org/
- Deadline is January 6, 2023
- Interview offers are extended by late January and on-site interviews will be conducted in February