Burn care treatment in Denver
At HealthONE, we are proud to offer access to the only Level I Trauma Center with a dedicated burn unit in the South Metro Denver area. Our burn center at Swedish Medical Center offers an operating room, inpatient critical care unit and outpatient clinic.
Our goal is to minimize the lasting impact of burn injuries. To do this, we offer reconstructive treatment services tailored to each patient’s needs. Our program provides 24/7 coverage by surgeons who are specially trained in burn and reconstructive care.
For more information about HealthONE's burn care services, please call (303) 575-0055.
State-of-the-art burn center
We partner with the Burn and Reconstructive Centers of America to provide comprehensive burn care to patients. The Burn and Reconstructive Center of Colorado at Swedish Medical Center offers patients access to burn care specialists and advanced technology to treat many types of severe burns.
Our comprehensive burn center offers:
- Two dedicated operating rooms
- A burn intensive care unit (ICU)
- A specialty pediatric intensive care unit (PICU)
- An outpatient burn and reconstructive clinic
- Dedicated staff trained in the care and management of burn injuries
Our burn care doctors work with each patient to create a treatment plan customized to their unique situation. We work diligently to ensure patients heal as quickly as possible, in addition to minimizing the amount of permanent damage due to burns.
Specialized burn care services we offer
Our facility offers two hyperbaric chambers for the treatment of burns. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) offers improved outcomes, shorter hospital stays and a decreased need for surgery.
Our facility also offers a hydrotherapy suite for the management of burn wounds, which is designed to minimize spread of wound infections.
Take a virtual tour of the Burn and Reconstructive Centers of Colorado at Swedish Medical Center. You can also schedule a meeting with our clinicians by calling (303) 788-6466 and complete registration paperwork online.
Inpatient burn unit patient amenities and services
We offer iPads outside of every patient room which provide updated information for all necessary staff precautions, including upcoming surgery information and diet information. We also use electronic patient boards instead of standard white boards to improve communication among caregivers, as well as with the patient.
Additionally, we provide PlayStation 4s for increased patient entertainment options, digital clocks with temperature readouts and electrified glass at patient room doors. This eliminates the need for privacy curtains, which minimizes the risk of infection.
Each patient has a private bathroom and bedside dialysis connections as well.
Outpatient burn clinic
In addition to our specialized inpatient burn unit, we provide burn care through our outpatient burn clinic. This outpatient center offers a variety of advanced treatments and therapy options for patients of any age with any type of burn injury. It is open five days a week for both scheduled and walk-in appointments.
Burn injuries and conditions we treat
We care for patients of all ages, including infants, children and adults.
Conditions we treat include:
- Burns of any degree or depth
- Drug reaction with eosinophilia
- Erythema multiforme (skin disorder including lesions)
- Fournier’s gangrene (perineum and genital flesh-eating infection)
- Necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating disease)
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome (skin and mucous membrane disorder)
- Staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome (red, blistering skin that looks like a burn)
- Systemic burn symptoms
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis (rare, serious disorder of the skin and mucous membranes)
Reconstructive procedures we perform
In addition to offering burn treatment, our facility also offers reconstructive procedures, including:
- Breast reconstruction
- Brachial plexus reconstruction and acute management
- Burn reconstruction
- Cancer reconstruction
- Complex microvascular reconstruction
- Hand and wrist surgery including tendon, bone, nerve and blood vessel repair
- Head and neck reconstruction
- Limb salvage
- Lymphedema surgery
- Migraine surgery
- Mott’s reconstruction
- Peripheral nerve surgery including nerve compression syndromes
- Targeted muscle reinnervation
Burn survivor and family support services
We offer access to a variety of burn survivor and family support services to help provide additional care to patients and their loved ones.
Burn Survivor and Family Support Group
We offer a Burn Survivor and Family Support Group that is aimed to support the physical and psychological healing associated with a burn injury. Healing after a burn injury can be a lifelong journey of physical, emotional and social recovery. The Burn and Reconstructive Center at Swedish Memorial Hospital is dedicated to supporting you through this process.
ICU Family Support Group
We also offer a support group designed to support families of loved ones in the ICU. This group is led by healthcare professionals and is offered weekly.
Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors
The Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors is a dedicated organization that supports and empowers anyone impacted by a burn injury. The Burn and Reconstructive Center at Swedish Medical Center encourages our patients, families and their loved ones to reach out and receive support from this well-known organization. Learn more about Phoenix Society.
Phoenix SOAR (Survivors Offering Assistance in Recovery)
Integrated into the Burn Center is the Phoenix Society’s support program of Phoenix SOAR. This service offers survivors and loved ones the opportunity to receive peer mentorship from others who have gone through similar experiences and injuries. This program is a part of our support services, focusing on survivor mental health, healing and social reintegration.
The Burn Foundation
The Burn Foundation supports burn survivors in their recovery and strive to prevent others from experiencing the traumatic event of a burn injury.
- Burn care tips
- Burn and fire prevention tips
- Map and directions
- Burn clinic intake form
- Cuestionario del paciente
- Emergency treatment of burns
- Treatment of minor burns poster
- Burn education for healthcare providers
- Burn Care Radio podcast
- The Burn Care Radio podcast can be found on the following podcast directories: Spotify, Buzz Sprout, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcast, Tune In Radio, Pocket Cast, Cast Box, Overcast, Castro, iHeartRadio