Weight loss surgery in South Denver
Sometimes your body weight is beyond your control—but our advanced surgical weight loss team at Sky Ridge Medical Center can help. Under the guidance of our board-certified bariatric surgeon, our team provides patients with safe, comprehensive medical treatment. We will be here supporting your needs before, during and after your weight loss journey.
To learn more about bariatric surgery at Sky Ridge Medical Center, call us at (303) 662-1191.
Why choose us for your bariatric surgery
Sky Ridge Medical Center's patients have collectively lost more than 80,000 pounds. They have been successful because we understand each person's weight loss needs are unique, and so we create a personalized treatment plan just for you.
Additional benefits of receiving bariatric care at our facility include:
- Our bariatric program is a Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accredited Quality Improvement Program. This designation is for programs that practice safe, high-quality care and ensure the best outcomes for patients.
Our comprehensive weight loss program includes free:
- Monthly educational seminars (group and private)
- Nutritional and exercise tips
- Post-surgery support group
- Weight loss consultations with weight-management consultants
- We are designated as a Blue Distinction Center for bariatric surgery. This signifies our surgical standards meet the nationally established, quality-focused criteria that emphasize patient safety and outcomes.
- We provide a specially designed weight loss program for teens.
Teen obesity weight loss program
Childhood obesity in the U.S. has grown considerably in recent years, with 18.5 percent of children and adolescents now considered obese.
That's why the Bariatric Surgery Center at Sky Ridge created a teen obesity weight loss program. It is a comprehensive medical and surgical program that provides nutrition, exercise and psychological counseling to your child. The program goal is to give them the skills they need to reach and maintain a healthy weight for life.
If your child does not qualify for surgery, we offer a comprehensive medical weight loss management program for them. It is designed to help them manage their weight and improve their overall health.
Types of bariatric surgery we offer
We are proud to be the only hospital in Colorado that offers all five of the following bariatric surgery procedures:
- Gastric plication
- Gastric sleeve
- Lap band
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB)
- Vagal blocking neurometabolic therapy
Lifestyle changes after weight loss surgery
Not everyone is a candidate for bariatric surgery. For those who do qualify, surgery is the beginning of your weight loss journey; commitment and hard work are needed after surgery to reach your weight loss goals. Diet and exercise will be important in your recovery process.
Here are some basic guidelines that will have to be followed after your surgery:
- Eating habits—Your adjusted gastrointestinal (GI) tract will require new eating habits.
- Exercise—After you recover, ongoing cardiovascular and strength training are a must.
- Medical care—Over time, you will need periodic checks and follow-up tests.
Informational bariatric seminars
Come to our informational group seminars and meet our chief bariatric surgeon. Our team will answer your questions and provide you with options for your weight loss journey.
Group informational sessions
Sessions are held the first Thursday of every-other month from 6:30pm to 8:00pm and the first Saturday of every-other month from 10:00am – 11:30am. Visit the Classes and Events page to register for sessions.
Private informational sessions
Free, private seminars are held on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Sessions are offered by appointment only. Please call (303) 662-1191 to arrange a private session with our team.
Bariatric support groups and events
The Sky Ridge bariatric surgery support groups are free to those who have had their surgery at Sky Ridge Medical Center. Sessions are led by our registered dietitians. We average 20 to 30 participants each month and we would love to have you join us.
Sessions are held on the first Wednesday of the month at 6:00pm and the third Monday of the month at 6:00pm.
Benefits of our bariatric support group include:
- Education about the bariatric surgery recovery process
- Nutrition and exercise information to help you maintain a healthy weight
- Proper use of nutritional supplements
- Support from those going through the same life change
Pants Across Sky Ridge annual celebration
Pants Across Sky Ridge is an annual celebration that Sky Ridge Medical Center hosts every January. It honors those who have had life-changing bariatric surgery and wish to share their amazing weight loss success stories.
In addition to a special reception with friends and family, we display patients’ stories and "before" and "after" pants and photos in our lobby prior to the event. Our visitors and employees are inspired by these heartfelt stories of triumph.
We also select several patients to participate in our Marvelous Makeover, an exciting opportunity for a head-to-toe makeover with the "reveal" the evening of our Pants Across Sky Ridge reception.
Meet Dr. Chae—a top bariatric surgeon in Greater Denver
Dr. Frank H. Chae is the Medical Director of the Bariatric Surgery Center at Sky Ridge Medical Center. He specializes in bariatric surgery and advanced minimally invasive surgery, including specialized advanced laparoscopic GI surgery.
Dr. Chae uses state-of-the-art procedures that have been recognized for their safety. Safety and his patients' success always remain his top priority. That is why more than 3,000 patients have entrusted their care to him.
Bariatric surgery at HealthONE
Weight loss surgery, also known as bariatric surgery, is performed on patients with obesity. There are several types of bariatric procedures, but all focus on making modifications to the digestive system with the goal of significant weight loss.Learn about Bariatric surgery