Breast health center in Thornton, Colorado
As part of HealthONE Breast Care, North Suburban Medical Center's breast health specialists are dedicated to screening for and detecting breast cancer in its earliest stages. To do this, we offer comprehensive breast imaging services, including advanced mammograms, in the North Denver area.
To schedule a breast exam at North Suburban Medical Center, please call (303) 457-7777.
Breast cancer screening
According to the breast cancer screening guidelines of the American Cancer Society (ACS), women who have an average risk of developing breast cancer and are between 45 and 54 years old should get a screening mammogram every year. The ACS also suggests women who are 55 years old and older get a mammogram every two years or continue yearly screenings.
If you believe you are at a higher risk for developing breast cancer, talk to your doctor about when you should have breast cancer screenings.
Additionally, we recommend routinely performing breast self-exams (BSEs) as part of your breast health strategy. Regular BSEs allow you to get familiar with how your breasts normally look and feel, so you can call your doctor when something seems abnormal.
Our women's breast health services
All of our breast health imaging services are provided by experienced technologists and read by radiologists who specialize in interpreting breast scans.
We offer a range of advanced imaging services for women's breast health, including:
- Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans
- Breast ultrasounds
- Breast biopsies
Our mammogram specialists offer different types of mammography, such as:
- Screening mammogram: A screening mammogram is a low-dose, digital X-ray of the breasts. This is routinely performed to detect breast cancer in women who have no symptoms.
- Diagnostic mammogram: This is a low-dose X-ray of the breasts that provides more details of the breast tissue by using specialized positioning and techniques. This exam may follow an abnormal screening mammogram if signs of breast cancer are present, such as a palpable lump, breast pain or changes in the skin, size or shape of a breast. These mammograms are also sometimes used for patients with breast implants.
- Tomosynthesis (3D mammogram): Traditional mammography takes images from the top and side of a breast, creating a 2D image. Tomosynthesis provides a 3D image of the breast and takes images from multiple angles. 3D mammograms capture clearer images and very fine details that may be hidden in breast tissue.
Preparing for your mammogram
To prepare for your mammogram, dress comfortably. Please do not wear deodorant, perfume or powder on the day of your mammogram, as these substances can obstruct the image of your breast tissue.
Someone from our team may call you to schedule a follow-up mammogram. After a mammogram screening, about 10 percent of women are asked to return for a follow-up test. However, not all abnormalities found in screening mammograms are cancerous.
A breast MRI may be performed if a patient has already been diagnosed with breast cancer. The breast MRI allows us to measure the size of the tumor, look for other tumors in the breast and check for tumors in the opposite breast.
For women at higher risk of developing cancer due to family history or other factors, a screening breast MRI may be recommended along with a yearly mammogram.
A breast ultrasound shows whether a breast lump is a fluid-filled cyst or a solid lump.
Stereotactic breast biopsy
A stereotactic breast biopsy uses a needle to take a sample of abnormal breast tissue. This allows our specialists to examine an abnormality without surgery.
Breast imaging services location
Breast imaging takes place at North Suburban Medical Center's Outpatient Imaging Center, located within our Medical Office Building.
The Outpatient Imaging Center's address is:
9195 Grant St., Suite 304
Thornton, CO 80229
Breast health at HealthONE
From regular checkups and screenings to the latest imaging technologies and treatments, you can access all our expert breast care services at our convenient location.Learn about Breast health
- Centennial Hospital
- Colorado Breast Care at The Medical Center of Aurora
- Green Valley Ranch Imaging
- Invision Sally Jobe at Centrum DTC
- Invision Sally Jobe at Hampden Place
- Invision Sally Jobe at P/SL
- Invision Sally Jobe at Sky Ridge Medical Center
- Invision Sally Jobe at Southwest Healthpark
- Invision Sally Jobe Golden/Lakewood
- Invision Sally Jobe in Cherry Creek
- Invision Sally Jobe Mammography in Littleton
- Invision Sally Jobe Parker
- North Suburban Medical Center
- Outpatient Imaging at North Suburban Medical Center
- Park Center Imaging
- Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
- Rose Medical Center
- Sky Ridge Medical Center
- Solis Mammography at Rose Medical Center
- Swedish Medical Center
- The Medical Center of Aurora