Postpartum care and support in central Denver
At Rose Medical Center, we believe postpartum support is just as essential as compassionate, quality care during labor and delivery. That is why the Rose Babies team continues to care for you and your baby by providing comprehensive postpartum services on our Mom/Baby unit. This space is secured and locked so you can rest assured that you and your baby are safe and being taken care by our experienced Mom/Baby nurses.
For more information about Rose Medical Center's postpartum services, please call (303) 320-2001.
Rose Medical Center's neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) was named the #1 NICU in HCA Healthcare for nursing excellence. Additionally, we have been named a Top 3 Colorado Birth Center (Colorado Parent Magazine), Best Maternity Hospitals 2020 (Newsweek), Maternal & Infant Care Quality Champion (CPCQC) and a
Five-Star Recipient for Vaginal Delivery in 2021 (Healthgrades)
Postpartum care services
Newly renovated, our Mom/Baby unit consists of all private, soothing rooms, each with its own bathroom and shower, Apple TV and secure Wi-Fi network. Our specially trained nursing team—with average 20-plus years of OB experience—will provide you with physical, emotional and informational support during your stay.
We also offer:
- Free car seat installation and/or inspection by a certified car seat technician, available for all your cars
- “Mommy and Me” tea service for our Rose Moms
- Special Rose Babies gift for baby
- Free garage and valet parking, including special “New Family” parking on the main level of the parking garage
- Gourmet “At Your Request” meal service delivered to your room featuring a special menu just for Rose Babies patients prepared by our 5–star chef, including availability of kosher meals and meals to meet other dietary restrictions
- A special “Brunch for Two”
- An opportunity for newborn photography services
- “First Footprint” keepsake
Learn about the support we provide to you and your baby after you go home.
Certified lactation consultants are staffed seven days a week to help new moms and babies as they acclimate to breastfeeding. Additionally, a hospital-grade breast pump is available for use in all postpartum rooms.
If you are still looking for more information, there are additional online breastfeeding resources below:
For lactation support after discharge, please call our Lactation Helpline at (303) 320-2001 and/or attend one of our weekly breastfeeding support groups.
Rose Babies is home to a state-of-the-art well-baby nursery. Following delivery, some new parents don’t want to let their newborn out of their sight, while others like to have time to rest and recuperate before heading home with their new baby. Our beautiful well-baby nursery, directly adjacent to the Mom/Baby nurses station, is a place where your baby will be safe and comfortable while the family gets some rest. This nursery also has a dedicated room for elective circumcisions.
Neonatal intensive care
Rose Medical Center is also home to a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Here, our highly experienced neonatal doctors and nurses deliver expert, family-centered care to babies who need additional support after birth. As a Level III NICU, we provide advanced neonatal care, meaning the likelihood that we will need to transfer your baby to another facility is very low.
The doctors and nurses in our award-winning Level III NICU provide intensive medical care for newborns who are born prematurely (as early as 24 weeks) or have a mild to serious illness.
As a Level III NICU, the likelihood that your child will need to be transferred to another hospital is very low. However, if your baby requires a higher level of care, we will quickly transfer them to the Level IV NICU at Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children, our sister hospital.
NICU amenities and services
All of the rooms in our NICU are private and several are able to hold twins or triplets.
Additional amenities of our NICU include:
- 24 beds located in 18 private rooms
- 24/7 coverage by neonatal nurse practitioners and board-certified neonatologists (doctors who specialize in the care of premature and seriously ill newborns)
- 24/7 visitation for parents
- A highly trained team of NICU nurses
- A Newborn Individualized Developmental Care and Assessment Program (NIDCAP) with the aid of a trained developmental specialist
- Certified lactation consultants who are also NICU nurses
- Compassionate and comprehensive treatment for neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS)
- Donor breast milk, if needed
- Infant rooms that accommodate your family to stay at the bedside as much as desired
- Skin-to-skin contact encouraged and supported
- Special NICU beds that transform from incubators to cribs as baby grows and gets stronger
- Specialized beds designed to transfer baby anywhere in the hospital while remaining in the bed
- Specially reserved, convenient parking for NICU parents in our main garage at Ninth Avenue and Cherry Street
- Waiting area for visitors
Breastfeeding babies in the NICU
Our NICU team supports your efforts to breastfeed your little one(s). Each NICU room has its own refrigerator and bottle warmer for easy-to-access milk storage and preparation. We also have specialized breast pumps designed to increase milk production for premature infants.
Visiting the NICU
You may create a list of designated visitors allowed to visit your baby without being escorted by a parent/guardian. They will wear a "bracelet" matching your baby’s. During flu season, however, kids are not allowed in the NICU. Please ask your nurse the dates of flu season for our hospital.
All family and friends are welcome to visit with your permission. However, because newborns are small and might not always feel well, the number of visitors allowed at one time is at the discretion of the nurse.
Postpartum support after discharge
Our postpartum support does not end after you are discharged. Our team offers a variety of support services to help you once you are home with your baby.
Lactation help and breastfeeding support groups
Get answers to your breastfeeding questions within 24 hours through our Lactation Helpline (303) 320-2001, select Lactation), and/or attend our weekly breastfeeding support groups:
- In–person Baby Weigh and Breastfeeding Support Group, Mondays, 1–2 pm
- Virtual Breastfeeding Support Group, Thursdays, 1–2 pm
If you need 1–on–1 support with a lactation consultant, consider asking your OB provider or pediatrician for a referral to our Outpatient Lactation Clinic. This is particularly helpful if your baby is losing weight or having trouble gaining due to breastfeeding difficulties.
Rose Mamas Circles
If you haven’t already joined your Rose Mamas Circle, you can still do so after baby arrives! These due date-based meetup groups help you connect with other mamas and continue through 6 months postpartum.
Postpartum depression support and treatment
Is it the "baby blues," or could you be experiencing symptoms of postpartum depression or anxiety? You are not alone. Call your OB provider to talk about the symptoms and treatment options at Rose Medical Center.
Our perinatal behavioral health program offers outpatient counseling, inpatient emotional support as well as a variety of support groups. We are here to help you learn about and support you through the emotional changes that may happen before or after having your baby.
Additional new mom support
You will also find resources below for:
Our hospital offers excellent urogynecology care for post-pregnancy conditions, such as urinary incontinence or pelvic organ prolapse, which many women experience after childbirth. Our Denver gynecologists at the Center for Women’s Health offer effective and minimally invasive pelvic floor treatments and therapies. Our goal is to make you feel comfortable by educating you about your condition and helping you find relief from your symptoms.
Postpartum care at HealthONE
After your baby is born, recovering and bonding with your new child is of the utmost importance. Our commitment is to put you and your baby first while providing care for all your post-pregnancy needs.Learn about Postpartum care