Pregnancy and childbirth services in Thornton, Colorado
At The Birth Center at North Suburban Medical Center, we know every step of your pregnancy and birth experience is unique to you. That is why, throughout your time with us, we will be asking you what you want and how we can help. What is important to you and your baby is important to us. We will do everything we can to provide a personalized experience that meets your wishes and needs.
Together with our OBGYNs and midwives, we partner with you throughout your journey to motherhood. We offer prenatal education classes, maternity tours of our unit, high-quality care for you and your baby and comfortable amenities during your hospital stay.
For more information about North Suburban Medical Center's maternity services, please call (303) 920-4362.
Preparing for childbirth
Receiving routine prenatal care during your pregnancy helps keep you and your baby healthy. Our network of OBGYNs who partner with us for labor and delivery offer comprehensive prenatal care for routine and high-risk pregnancies.
Additionally, our birth center team includes certified nurse midwives (CNMs). If you choose midwifery care and unexpected complications occur during pregnancy or delivery, our OBGYNs are available to immediately assist.
We offer prenatal classes to help you and your support person prepare for labor, delivery and parenthood.
Our classes include:
- Breastfeeding for Expectant Parents
- Baby Care and Safety
- Birth Essentials Class Series
- Birth Essentials Express
- Boot Camp for Expectant Dads
Weekly pregnancy and childbirth newsletter
As you prepare for childbirth and parenthood, we can touch base with you through our weekly pregnancy and early childhood newsletter to provide you with additional support.
This newsletter is free and includes customized information, news and resources based on your stage of pregnancy and, after birth, your child's age. The program is provided throughout your pregnancy and into the toddler years.
We want you to feel comfortable and familiar with our facilities when you arrive at the hospital for the birth of you child. This is why we provide maternity tours of The Birth Center before your big day. During the tour, we will guide you through our unit and answer any questions you may have.
To schedule a tour of our maternity unit, please register below or call (303) 367-BABY (2229).
North Suburban Medical Center received a five-star rating for vaginal deliveries from Healthgrades.
Labor and delivery
When baby is ready to arrive, we will evaluate you for labor and assign a room. If you are arriving for a scheduled induction, external cephalic version or cesarean section (C-section), please check in at the main admissions desk.
Labor and delivery unit amenities
Some of our birth center amenities include:
- Breastfeeding and lactation support
- Comfortable overnight accommodation for mom’s support person
- Families are allowed to attend the childbirth
- Gourmet “celebration” meal for you and your support person and a chef-prepared meal to take home
- Large bathtubs for use during labor
- Large, private rooms
- Neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) staffed with board certified neonatologists and neonatal nurses
- Neonatal nurse practitioner available for every birth to ensure your baby has a safe start
- One-on-one consultation with a nurse to discuss your wishes before your big day
- Room service menu with options for meals, snacks and desserts around the clock
- Rooming-in encouraged but nurses available to care for your baby when you need a break
- Single-room care from arrival to departure
- Spacious family waiting area
- Spacious suites, each with a private bathroom and shower, TV, DVD player, sleeper bed for family and internet access
Childbirth pain management
We offer 24-hour anesthesia service to provide quick relief from the discomfort of labor. We also provide squat bars, rocking chairs and birthing balls for moms interested in non-medicated births.
One-on-one care for mom and baby
You will be assigned your own nurse. Your nurse is highly experienced in childbirth and will help you throughout your labor and delivery. Additionally, your baby is assigned their own neonatal nurse practitioner as soon as they are born.
Neonatal intensive care
North Suburban Medical Center has a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) to care for babies in need of specialized medical care. If your baby is ill or premature, our expert neonatal doctors and nurses will care for them in our NICU.
Features of our Level II NICU include:
- Care for infants who are feeding and growing stronger after a stay in intensive care
- Care for premature infants as early as 32 weeks gestation and low birth weight babies who are moderately ill
- Designated family waiting area
- Frozen donor breast milk, if needed
- Kangaroo care (skin-to-skin holding), when medically appropriate
- Mechanical ventilation for a brief time or continuous positive airway pressure
- Refrigerator and supplies for nursing moms
- Secure unit to ensure safety
We work closely with the Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children’s Level IV NICU—the largest NICU in Colorado. If your baby needs a more advanced level of care, we can quickly transfer them to this Level IV NICU.
To reach North Suburban Medical Center's NICU, please call (303) 450-4491.
After delivery, we are here to help you learn to care for your little. As part of this, we promote rooming-in to encourage family bonding and increase breastfeeding success. However, our nurses are available to care for your baby when you need a break.
We understand the importance of helping new mothers successfully breastfeed their babies. During your hospital stay, a registered nurse, who is also an international board-certified lactation consultant (IBCLC), will visit you. They will assist you with breastfeeding and breastfeeding techniques.
Once you take your baby home, we will continue to offer breastfeeding assistance over the phone. You can call us at (303) 457-7740.
We also offer a Healthy Beginnings support group in which our lactation consultant weighs your baby before and after a feeding to determine how much breast milk they have consumed. To check days and times of this group, please call (303) 457-7740.
Baby Faces on I-25
Our Baby Faces on I-25 program offers a unique opportunity to share your child's birth announcement with the Greater Denver area. To see your baby’s picture on our billboard, simply follow the steps below.
- When you are at the hospital for the birth of your child: Fill out both sides of the consent form in your patient folder (Authorization for Use and Disclosure and Consent for Use and Disclosure of Image). Give the signed form to your nurse. You can also e-mail us, and we will send you the consent forms to sign and send back.
- When you get home: Send an e-mail to NSUB.BabyFaces@healthonecares.com with this information:
- Your child's first name
- Your first and last name
- The address to which we can send your billboard photo
- The picture you would like displayed on the billboard (see the tips below for choosing a photo)
Pictures that work best for the billboard will be landscape (longer side to side), not portrait. Also, if you can send the original image, instead of pulling a picture from a website or social media, it will look better at the billboard's very large size.
Because our billboard scrolls through a lot of pictures, you may not see it in the several seconds it takes you to drive by it on I-25. That is why we will send you a copy of the picture. (Please allow us a few weeks to get the photo back to you.)
Car seat safety
Colorado law states that parents must have a car seat installed before transporting their baby home from the hospital.
Labor and delivery at HealthONE
Just as every baby is unique, so is every delivery. As your partner in care, we provide a customized birthing experience that begins long before your first contraction and continues well after delivery.Learn about Labor and delivery