Prenatal doctors in South Denver
At Sky Ridge Medical Center, we know how important it is to find the right obstetrician to help you through every step of your pregnancy. To help with that, our hospital offers an extensive network of board-certified OBGYNs in South Denver who offer comprehensive, patient-centered maternity care. To ensure your pregnancy is as safe as possible, our maternity team also includes maternal-fetal medicine specialists (doctors who specialize in high-risk pregnancy care).
For more information about Sky Ridge Medical Center's prenatal care services, please call our women's coordinator at (720) 225-2423.
The Birth Place at Sky Ridge Medical Center
When you choose Sky Ridge Medical Center for your labor and delivery, you gain access to our beautifully decorated Birth Place. Our Birth Place offers all the amenities you need for a healthy, comfortable childbirth experience, including options for natural and medicated births.
We encourage expecting families to take a tour of the Birth Place. Maternity tours give you and your partner the opportunity to learn more about our hospital and ask any questions you may have about our facility and services.
Our commitment to delivering at 39 weeks
During the last few weeks of pregnancy, your baby is maturing rapidly, and significant brain development takes place. Because of this, babies born prior to 39 weeks are at a greater risk for respiratory distress, jaundice and feeding difficulties. This is why, at Sky Ridge Medical Center, we are committed to helping you safely carry your baby to 39 weeks.
There are several medical reasons, such as preeclampsia or placenta previa, why you may need to give birth before 39 weeks. If you go into labor on your own before 39 weeks (but after 35 to 36 weeks), we do not try to stop that natural process.
Most babies born after 35 weeks do not need to go the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). However, we will carefully monitor your baby if they are born between 35 and 37 weeks, even if they stay with you in your room.
Pregnancy and childbirth conditions we treat
Our doctors care for women experiencing routine and high-risk pregnancies, and we treat a variety of pregnancy and childbirth conditions, including:
- Amniotic fluid abnormalities
- Congenital rubella syndrome
- Ectopic pregnancy (tubal pregnancy)
- Gestational diabetes
- Multiple pregnancies
- Incompetent cervix
- HELLP (hemolytic anemia, elevated liver enzymes and low platelet count) syndrome
- Hyperemesis gravidarum (severe morning sickness)
- Placental conditions
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Pregnancy after premature birth
- Rh incompatibility and isoimmunization
- Thyroid disorders in pregnancy
- Graves' disease (overactive thyroid)
- Vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC)
Your birth plan
We want to help make your childbirth experience special and unique. That is why we encourage you to consider your childbirth preferences in advance and share those ideas with your physician. This will help us customize your stay to meet your needs and wishes.
Additionally, we provide the amenities and services you need to experience childbirth on your own terms—whether that is a medicated or non-medicated birth. From soaking tubs and aromatherapy to nitrous oxide and 24-hour anesthesia, we offer many pain management options to support your birth plan.
To learn more about our childbirth pain management options, visit our labor and delivery page.
Preparing for the birth of your baby
There is a lot to do to prepare for the birth of your baby. To help with this process, here are some things we suggest doing in advance:
- Preregister for delivery: We suggest you preregister for your hospital stay at least 48 hours in advance to allow the hospital to process your information. This also makes your check-in process more convenient.
- Review financial responsibilities: We encourage you to obtain "pre-certification" from your insurance carrier prior to your admission. Make sure you understand your specific coverage terms, and verify that Sky Ridge Medical Center is an approved provider of obstetric care under your plan. If you have minimal or no insurance coverage, the total hospital bill is your responsibility, however, we do offer a reduced-price plan. If you have questions about payment or insurance coverage, please call our financial counselor at (720) 225-1505. You may also call our pricing hotline for further information at (888) 824-7655.
Review “Five Wishes” advance directive: Federal law directs that any time you are admitted to any healthcare facility or served by certain organizations that receive Medicare or Medicaid funding, you must be told about Colorado's laws concerning your right to make healthcare decisions. Below you will find information about advance directives:
- As a patient, it is your right to formulate and provide advance directives concerning your wishes for life-prolonging or sustaining treatment in the event you become unable to make your own decisions. Completion of the pamphlet "Five Wishes" fulfills the need for an advance directive.
- You are not required to have an advance directive in order to receive medical treatment at our hospital.
- If you would like a copy of the "Five Wishes" pamphlet sent to you, please call (720) 225-1511.
- Select a pediatrician for your baby: If you need help finding a pediatrician for you baby, call our physician referral line at (720) 225-5362.
Prenatal classes we offer
We offer classes to help you and your whole family prepare for childbirth, newborn care and parenthood. Due to the popularity of these maternity classes, we recommend you register for all classes early in your pregnancy. For your convenience, you will find many of our classes listed below.
Childbirth preparation classes
- Childbirth Preparation (available in a three- or four-week series)
- Childbirth Preparation Fast Track
- Childbirth Preparation Express
- Natural Childbirth Preparation
- After Baby Comes—the ABCs of the 4th Trimester
- Baby Safe
- Boot Camp for New Dads
- Boot Camp for New Moms
- Breastfeeding Preparation
- Breastfeeding Support Group
- Grandparents Are Special
- Infant Care
- Sibling Preparation
- Sky Ridge Moms Circle
- Spinning Babies® Parent Class
Prenatal classes for moms-to-be on bed rest
If your perinatologist recommends you be on bed rest prior to delivery, we will bring our prenatal classes to you. While safely preparing for childbirth and resting in our antepartum unit, you can participate in our Childbirth Preparation, Baby Safe and Breastfeeding Preparation classes.
To sign up for prenatal classes, please follow the links above to register online or call (720) 225-2229.
Cost and scheduling for maternity classes
Some insurance companies will reimburse you for the cost of prenatal classes. Please call (720) 225-2229 to request an itemized receipt once you have completed your class(es). You are responsible for submitting the receipt to your insurance company.
Please note that class dates and fees are subject to change. Cancellation of your scheduled class(es) must be made at least 24 hours prior to the start of the class in order to receive a full refund.
Prenatal care at HealthONE
Pregnancy is a special time, and it requires specialized prenatal care. We are here as your child grows and develops, to ensure both of you remain healthy throughout your pregnancy.Learn about Prenatal care